Careers & Volunteers
Thanks for your interest in PHC. We are a team of caring professionals providing healthcare and supportive services for all people to improve their quality of life. Regardless of your career interest, if you are looking for a place to truly make a difference in the lives of others, you’ll find it at PHC.
We offer careers in the following areas:
• Administrative & Clinic Office
• Behavioral Health
• Benefits Enrollment
• Case Management & Supportive Services
• Dental Care
• Medical Care
Click the button below to search our current openings.
Search Current Job Openings
Primary Health Care, Inc. is an equal opportunity employer.
PHONE: (515) 248-1447
GET DIRECTIONS: 1200 University Ave. Suite 200, Des Moines, IA 50314
Internal Application Process
PHC desires to provide opportunities for professional development and career advancement for our employees. To assist employees who want to pursue other opportunities within the organization, PHC posts all job opportunities on our website.
Hiring preference is generally granted to internal applicants who meet the minimum qualifications of the position for which they are applying and who have demonstrated high-quality work performance. To be eligible to apply for other opportunities, an employee must be in good standing (see Employee Handbook) and have held the current position for at least six months.
Click here to search our current openings. Positions that are only open to current employees are noted as “Internal” on the posting. If you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for an opportunity and wish to apply for an open position, click the Apply button on the posting and complete the online internal application.
At PHC we recognize the importance of taking care of our staff. We offer a comprehensive benefit package to address a wide range of needs. PHC also recognizes employees for exceptional work through quality and productivity incentive programs and iCare awards for employees who go above and beyond in demonstrating our company values.
Employees who work at least 20 hours per week on a regular basis are eligible for benefits. PHC offers the majority of our benefits on a pre-tax basis. Eligible employees must complete enrollment within 30 days of employment. Coverage will be effective the first of the month following the hire date.
Who Pays for It?
|Medical Insurance||Wellmark BCBS||PHC & Employee|
|Dental Insurance||Delta Dental||PHC & Employee|
|Accident & Critical Illness Insurance||Allstate||Employee|
|Health Savings Account||WageWorks||PHC & Employee|
|Flexible Spending Accounts (Health Care & Dependent Care)||WageWorks||Employee|
|Group Term Life Insurance||CIGNA||PHC|
|Short-Term & Long-Term Disability||CIGNA||PHC|
|Paid Time Off||–||Accrual = approximately 20 days for full time (40 hour/week) by the end of first year of employment. Manager & provider accrual equals approximately 25 days for full time by end of first year of employment|
|Paid Holidays (7)||–||PHC pays 7 holidays per year|
|401(k) Retirement Plan||ADP||PHC matches up to 4% of employee’s deferral|
|Employee Assistance Program||Employee & Family Resources||PHC|
Student Loan Forgiveness/Repayment Programs – section still in progress
PHC is also an eligible worksite for a number of student loan forgiveness programs.
- National Health Service Corp
- Public Service Loan Forgiveness Program
- NURSE Corps
- Iowa PRIMECARRE
- Des Moines University Health Professional Recruitment Program
- School-Based Scholarships & Loans
Please note that PHC is not the administrator of the above programs, but is an eligible worksite, which allows individuals working in qualifying positions to apply for student loan forgiveness or repayment. PHC does not make the determination about eligibility or acceptance into such programs.
Primary Health Care, Inc. recognizes the importance of student educational experiences in community health centers. PHC staff will oversee the supervision of students when they provide patient care, treatment, or services as part of their training. PHC will not accommodate observation-only requests unless it is part of a student program. Any exceptions made to this policy require prior approval of the Chief Human Resources Officer (CHRO) and the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) or the Medical Director (MD).
All student experiences must be approved by the Human Resources Department prior to beginning the experience.
What Is Required from You to Complete a Student Experience at PHC?
1. Determine the level of student experience you are requesting. The levels of possible student experiences and corresponding requirements are defined in the table below.
|Level 1 Student: Clinical experience in a medical or dental clinic||Level 2 Student: Clinical observation only, experience in a medical or dental clinic||Level 3 Student: Non-clinical experience||Level 4 Student: Off-site experience|
|Student Affiliation Agreement||Required|
|Student Information Form||Required||Required||Required|
|Student Activity Log||Required|
|Background Check Authorization||Required||Required||Required|
|Documentation of Hepatitis B Vaccination or Declination||Required||Required|
|TB Self-screening Questionaire||Required|
|Documentation of a Negative TB Test per PHC policy||Required||Required|
|Orientation & Training||Required||Required||Required||Required|
2. If you are requesting a Level 1 experience, review the Student Affiliation Agreements section below to determine if we accept students from your school. If your school is on the list of current agreements, contact Human Resources at (515) 248-1447 to inquire if we can accommodate your request at this time. If your school is not on the list, we are not accepting students from your school for clinical student experiences at this time. Affiliation agreements are evaluated and added/removed on an annual basis.
3. If you are requesting a Level 2, 3, or 4 experience, contact Human Resources at 515.248.1447 to inquire if we can accommodate your request at this time.
4. After Human Resources determines your experience can be accommodated, complete the required forms for your experience. See the table above for required forms.
5. After your background check and other documentation has been completed and reviewed, Human Resources will contact you to confirm approval of your student experience at PHC. You must receive this approval from Human Resources prior to beginning your experience.
Student Affiliation Agreements
PHC requires a student affiliation agreement between PHC and the educational institution for students who complete a clinical participative experience at PHC. Non-clinical and observation only experiences do not require an agreement.
PHC currently has an affiliation agreement with the following programs:
- Allen College: Registered Nurse, Nurse Practitioner
- Clarkson College: Nurse Practitioner
- Des Moines Area Community College: Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Medical Assisting, Medical Office, Nursing
- Des Moines University: College of Osteopathic Medicine (Physician & Physician Assistant)
- Drake University: College of Pharmacy
- Frontier Nursing University: Nurse Practitioner
- Graceland University: College of Nursing
- Iowa Valley Community College: Dental Assisting, Dental Hygiene, Medical Assisting, Nursing
- Kaplan College: Medical Assisting
- Simmons University: College of Social Work
- University of Iowa: College of Dentistry, College of Medicine (Physician & Physician Assistant), College of Nursing, & College of Social Work
PHC is not currently utilizing volunteers on a regular basis. Please check back at a later date for volunteer opportunities