What to expect during your prenatal appointments?
Congratulations on your pregnancy! Our goal is to give you an idea about what to expect at your prenatal appointments during your pregnancy with us. We know you have a lot of information to process, and we want to make sure you are prepared with all the information you need.
First Trimester: Weeks 1-13
During your prenatal period, your first trimester is when we get to know you, and also prepare to have a healthy pregnancy. Here is what to expect:
- We go over your medical history
- Talk about how you can take care of yourself during your pregnancy
- We will do bloodwork and lab tests (your prenatal care provider will determine what you need).
- If you have a family history of diabetes we may do a glucose test, and talk about your risk of gestational diabetes.
- During this time you will have prenatal appointments every 4 weeks.
Second Trimester: Weeks 14-27
At these prenatal appointments, we will monitor the growth of your baby, and do a few more screenings at updates.
At 20 weeks we will schedule your first ultrasound appointment to see your growing baby!
Third Trimester: Weeks 28-Delivery
These prenatal appointments are all about preparing for delivery and monitoring the health of your baby. Here are some of the things to expect:
- More bloodwork to ensure that mom and baby are safe and healthy
- A glucose test
- A vaccination to prevent whooping cough in your baby
Your prenatal care provider will closely monitor your health during the last part of your pregnancy. Starting at 30 weeks you will have an appointment every two weeks.
Do you have a medical home for your prenatal health care?
Contact the Primary Health Care Clinic nearest you, in Des Moines, Marshalltown or Ames, to establish a medical home for your annual wellness exams, prenatal care and more!